The Tamilnadu Handicrafts Development Corporation (TNHDC) was set up in 1973 by the Government of Tamilnadu. "Poompuhar" , the brand name of TNHDC and unique handicraft store that echos the crafts of Tamilnadu.Our products are authentic, affordable and attractive which are carefully handcrafted, designed and marketed for the customer.The collections include a lot of designs and statues made from a variety of materials like Bronze, Brass, Copper, Tanjore paintings, White Metal, Black Metal, Wood Carvings, Stone Carvings, Cloth, Leather, Jute and Clay, Swamimalai Bronze Icons, Kondapalli toys, Meenakari, Kalamkari Purse, Garlands, Thanjavur Art Plate as well..
Poompuhar provides marketing assistance to artisans by selling their products through its 17 showrooms which are located at Chennai City, Chennai Airport, Vandaloor Zoo, IIT Chennai, Egmore Museum, Coimbatore, Erode, Salem, Thanjavur, Tiruchirapalli, Madurai, Tirunelveli, Kanyakumari, Swamimalai, Mamallapuram, New Delhi and Kolkata, Poompuhar has 7 Production Centres located at Nachiarkoil (traditional brass lamps), Madurai (brass lamps and brass art wares), Vagaikulam (brass malabar lamps and other lamps), Swamimalai (bronze icons), Thanjavur (Thanjavur art plates), Kallakurichi (wood carvings) and Mamallapuram (stone carvings).
The Vision is to reach out to the world and showcase the hard work done by artisans in producing exquisite handcrafted products in Brass, Bronze, Wood, Stone, Art plates, Thanjavur paintings, Pith models, Papier mache, Terracotta etc., The mission objectives of Tamil Nadu Handicrafts Development Corporation Limited are as follows:-
- To uplift the livelihood and living standard of artisans in Tamil Nadu.
- To upgrade the skills of artisans by imparting appropriate training.
- To improve the productivity of artisans.
- To improve the quality of handicrafts produced.
- To minimize the drudgery involved in the production process.
- To minimize / eliminate occupational hazards.
- To encourage innovation in design.
- To provide socio-economic security for craftsmen.
- To document and record the details of the handicrafts that are produced in the State.
- To provide marketing services to the artisans of Tamil Nadu.
- To recognize their dedication and perseverance in handicrafts.